Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Charmed By Charleston

Every time I have to leave Charleston, SC I go kicking and screaming. The town is one of the most charming and beautiful places I've ever been. It is rich with history and full of to-die-for food. Trust me, Charleston's ocean setting and can't-stop-till-you-drop shopping make Charleston a top travel destination.

With my sister's help, she's a local, I put together a little guide for doing Charleston right. Dig your teeth in!

Stay:

Charleston Place: A beautifully Southern hotel complete with a great bar, go-to shops, and a lovely spa. Can I check in now?

Zero George Street Boutique Hotel: Tradition meets the contemporary South at this inviting hotel composed of five restored historical residential buildings.

Zero George Street Boutique Hotel

Zero George Street Boutique Hotel

Do:

Walk along Rainbow Row and The Battery

Rainbow Row

Take a carriage ride

Peruse the historical City Market for straw sweet grass baskets

Browse the farmer's market in Marion Square on Saturday mornings to enjoy breakfast & discover local artists

Shop:

Hampden Clothing: for designers including A.L.C., Current/Elliott, Equipment, Jenni Kayne, Rag & Bone, & Tucker


Palm Avenue: for Lily Pulitzer

Acquisitions: for amazing home wear and furniture

Lily: for cards, stationary, jewelry, and beautiful trinkets

Eat:

The Macintosh: The menu changes with the season and never fails to impress for cocktails & dinner

Poogan's Porch: A Breakfast, lunch, & dinner must - the shrimp & grits

Poogan's Porch

Blossom: Go here for good ole' Southern seafood

Husk: The pig ear lettuce wraps sound risky but they are to die for

Hall's Chop House: Hall's boasts a versatile menu but I always pick a steak when dining here

Hominy Grill: Oprah's favorite restaurant in Charleston serves up delicious breakfast and lunch (Don't miss the okra & shrimp beignets)

Hominy Grill

Drink:

The Cocktail Club: An diverse cocktail menu + regular live music = a great environment for gathering and drinking


Midtown: The inside bar, outdoor patio bar, pool table, and live music make for a laid back college bar

The Rooftop Bar at Vendue Inn: Go here for refreshing cocktails and one-of-a-kind views of the Charleston harbor

Wear:

When I was in Charleston last week I experienced typical Southern summer weather - warm & humid with afternoon showers. One day I worked with the weather by wearing this lightweight Anthropologie jumpsuit. The ikat jumpsuit packs great and has a feminine fit with the tie waist so it was the perfect choice (speaking of jumpsuits, I'm also currently coveting this Anthropologie romper for summer!).

I also embraced the city's proximity to the water and sported this J.Crew floral anchor tee. Let's be honest, I often throw a nautical twist into my dressing.

All in all, my sister and I agree that Charleston is the perfect city to travel to with girlfriends, with your family, or for a couple's weekend. Xoxo travel bugs!


2 comments:

  1. Just went to Charleston for the first time this weekend and totally thought of you and this blog. You're too cute! What an amazing place!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...