Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Life, Love, & Passing On

Last week, I lost my grandma to Heaven. I believe the week brought about a lot of mixed emotions in me as well as the other members of my family. I was inspired to write a few words on the matter after reading Emily Schuman's (of Cupcakes & Cashmere) recent post on the same subject.

My grandmother's passing was not unexpected but it still came as a shock. We had a very special and close relationship that consisted of lots of play, games, trips, and "special days" together when I was young and lots and lots of conversations as I grew older and as she became less well. I learned a wealth of knowledge from my grandma about both what to do and what not to do. She set an example for me in both lights, although she probably did not realize this. Regardless, she was a truly amazing grandma who thought her grandchildren were the most talented, smart, and perfect people in the world.

I am grateful for her passing because I know she is in the one perfect place in the world and is exactly where she wants to be - with my grandpa and The Lord. I find joy in this faith of mine. I am also grateful because her funeral gave my family an excuse to all get together in the same place. I loved having time to spend with my uncles, aunts, and cousins. So, in that way, I also found joy in her passing.

I will take many things with me - lessons learned and memories made - that I got from my relationship with my grandma into my future. One of the most important things my experiences from this past week reminded me of is to always make the effort when it comes to family. You only have one family and you can learn from them in more ways than one - about your past and where you come from, how to be a family and how not to be a family, how to love and demonstrate grace, how to forgive and accept forgiveness, and what to do and what not to do, to name a few.

My grandma knows I love her and I love the relationship we had. I will miss her but I know our conversations will not end.


http://bippityboppityboo.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...